We occasionally get questions about the note in Pet Tricks of using the COMP MODE Sidechain De-emphasis in an alternative way.
When Emphasis is turned on, it emphasizes high frequencies before compression, then compresses and distorts, and then flattens out the high frequencies again by turning them down (de-emphasis). When Emphasis is on, the compressor detector gets sent an emphasized signal, IE with the highs boosted. To prevent this from making the compressor respond MORE to high frequencies, a circuit in the detector de-emphasizes the signal so it is flat. This sidechain de-emphasisis can be used in an alternative way with hidden functions, activated by holding the COMP MODE button for 3 seconds.
If you ever get scared you do not know what state the circuit is in, all you have to do is press the Emphasis switch to cycle around back to your current setting, and everything is reset to NORMAL.
The States of the Emphasis using COMP MODE extended Options. Start with COMP MODE normal, no LED’s on.
- Press COMP MODE once to turn Emphasis ON, turning on the Emphasis throughout the unit. Compressor responds normally.
- Hold COMP MODE button in for 3 seconds, the red Link LED will flash twice, and now the sidechain de-emphasis is turned OFF, making the compressor respond much more to high frequencies. It is equivalent to boosting the highs in the sidechain of the compressor. It can help control harsh passages or source material.
- Pressing COMP MODE button again and the unit goes into normal LINK, with Emphasis off everywhere, operating normally.
- Hold COMP MODE Emphasis Button for 3 seconds, and the Yellow HF Emphasis LED flashes twice, and the sidechain deemphasis is turned ON, making the compressor respond LESS to high frequencies, but still in LINK for stereo.
- Pressing the COMP MODE button again, turns on Emphasis and Link, compessor operating normal.
- Hold COMP MODE button in for 3 seconds, the red Link LED will flash twice, and now the sidechain de-emphasis is turned OFF, making the compressor respond much more to high frequencies, while still linked
- Pressing the Emphasis Button again returns the unit to normal mode, No Emphasis, No LINK.
- Holding COMP MODE switch in normal mode (No LEDs On) for 3 seconds, the Yellow HF Emphasis LED flashes twice, and the sidechain deemphasis is turned ON, making the compressor respond LESS to high frequencies.
When you hold the COMP MODE switch and the yellow HF Emphasis LED flashes, you have turned on the sidechain de-emphasis circuit. When you hold the button and the Red LINK LED flashes, you have turned OFF the sidechain de-emphasis. And again, you can return to default mode by pushing the COMP MODE several times to cycle around.