FOR MAC ONLY
It’s been 20 years since Empirical Labs released its first compressor, The Distressor. From those early days on, Empirical Labs has been bombarded with requests for a great compressor plugin for those working in the box… and it had to be one with the creamy sound and ease-of-use of our own award winning hardware compressors. We are sure you will find the 20-year wait worth it!
For many years, processing speed, sample rates and copy protection were limiting. Things have changed. Digital Technology can now come very close to having all the wonderful non-linearity and “warts” of the best analog gear. We say “close” because most of Empirical Labs’ analog gear will pass 150KHz easily, and that is something that is impossible with current digital technology. But hey, who hears above 20KHz? ::Spock Eyebrow Raise:: But it is difficult getting everything right up to that 20KHz, especially at sample rates of 48KHz and below.
As this plug-in does all kinds of non-linear stuff, we had to employ a variety of techniques to minimize common digital artifacts found in almost all digital compressors/limiters etc. Unfortunately, these techniques are costly as far as processing, and one has to streamline certain DSP processes for less CPU load without sacrificing any audio quality. Ironically, sometimes stuff that is hard in Analog is easy in Digital, and sometimes stuff that is hard (or impossible) in Digital is easy in Analog.
Since it’s release, the Arousor™ has been a premium performance, premium priced plug-In. Some, especially part-time recordists and home-recording enthusiasts were apprehensive about spending $349 for a single plug-in. So it is with great pleasure that Empirical Labs is now offering an easy subscription plan for our Arousor plug-in.
These hidden Expert Panels are going to thrill Arousor users many times over the next few years. The BLEND section now has an EXPERT Button that brings up a panel with a new control to allow perfect matching of levels between Compressed and Dry (un-compressed) signals.
NEW REV 2.0 FEATURES
• AAX-DSP for the MAC. Windows version to follow shortly, pending copy protection repair.
• Greater efficiency, especially in Pro Tools AAX. 1/3rd of the CPU usage!
• Greatly increased Bargraph accuracy. Makes matching a Distressor sound much easier.
• Preset Sharing Function - Works across all platforms and makes it easy to share.
• Backwards Compatible with Rev 1.0. Won't "break" your past mixes.
• Graphic and Interface Improvements - New colors, and 3d Depth
• Our first "Expert" Button appears for the BLEND Section.
• New Presets from Famous Engineers
• Refined markings for matching Distressor Detector settings.
• Higher resolution readout on Det BP BW. Reads to .01 places.
• Better support for Control Surfaces, including the older Avid D-Command
• Empirical Labs Classic Knee Compression in a plug-in… Finally!
• Foolproof operation – It is almost impossible to get a bad sound.
• Empirical Labs Famous White Knobs, with parameter readout and direct entry.
• Proprietary Empirical Labs Detector modeling. High resolution.
• Broadband Saturator, controllable by user.
A novel approach was used to allow amazing control over peaks.
• Unique AtMod™ Attack Modification Control. Changes the shape of the initial attack, and can lengthen attack times in a different manner than the ATTACK control.
• HP Sidechain EQ
• BP Sidechain EQ
• Rivet, a brick wall ratio great on room mics, and for skimming peaks.
• Linkable with the stereo version.
• BLEND Control – Mix in the dry signal with the compressed one.
• 18 Lock n Load Presets, finely tuned and named intuitively. More coming down the line.
• More backwards compatible features coming.
1. DRUMS DRY
2. DRUMS Default - 5-8dB Gain Reduction
3. Drums PUMMELED KIK SN preset 10-15dB Gain Reduction
4. Drums RIVET Extreme 20db Gain Reduction
5. Drums RIVET Extreme - Blend at 2
6. Saturation ONLY (Dial set at 8)
August 8, 2017
Reviewer: Jesse Alves from Brasilia, Distrito Federal Brazil
I'm not a professional, but I have almost all the most important compressor plugins. None was so powerful as Arousor. The sound is delicious, and it's so simple to use. What I liked the most was whereas another plugins were subtle, this one doesn't have to be, if you so wish. And if you are heavy-handed, it still is musical.
Swiss Army Knife
August 4, 2017
Reviewer: Jamie Dockerty from Swords, Dublin Republic of Ireland
Its an absolute swiss army Knife, you can put it on everything and it adds nothing but bliss. Is it worth selling ur kids for 100% Yes!!! Would i buy it again Yes!!!
Finally! A virtual distressor in my mixes!
May 16, 2017
Reviewer: Emiliano Sasal from C.A.B.A., Buenos Aires Argentina
I always use distressors when recording. And since I mix mostly ITB I've been waiting for a plugin like this for years. It's not exactly like a distressor. But the differences are all improvements. And yes, it's expensive. Pero vale cada centavo!
May 16, 2017
Reviewer: Pete Gleadall from London, Greater London United Kingdom
I've had a distressor in my rack since about 1997, so by now I'm pretty used to its sound. The arousor gives me that sound, but I can now have lots of them in a mix !!
I've used it on subgroups and individual tracks and it just sounds great.
Considering what I paid for the distressor, the arousor is a major bargain !!
worth every penny!
April 24, 2017
Reviewer: Rune Zetterström/zetterstroem.com from copenhagen denmark
while i was impatiently waiting for my hardware disterssors i bought the arousor plug
it's now my goto compressor. so easy to use and the sound that i could bot find anywhere else
There is no other!!!
May 16, 2017
Reviewer: C Fig from KENNESAW, GA United States
I have try so many others comps throughout the years, none of them get close to this. The ability to transform the transient is amazing. Customer service outanding!!! Empirical Labs please make some more.
Even Better Than The Real Thing
May 16, 2017
Reviewer: Gabriel Funes from CABA, Buenos Aires Argentina
Simply sounds amazing!
March 6, 2017
Reviewer: Adam Hawkins
This one plugin replaced four other plugins in my usual lead vocal processing chain. HUGE time saver, and sounds incredible!
My heart sank when I demo'd it
February 8, 2017
Reviewer: Chris Hesse from Los Angeles, CA United States
Because the last thing I need is ANOTHER compressor plugin. What sold me immediately is variable side chain. It was one of those "why the hell doesn't everyone do that???" moments, kinda like when the mix knob started showing up on effects. The saturation knob is very tasteful, never getting too shrill. The compressor can really versatile, does everything I want it to do and more. Definitely the best purchase I've made in a long time, hardware OR software
June 14, 2017
Reviewer: Tyler Smyth from Los Angeles, CA United States
The amount of uses I've found for this plugin are pretty staggering. Anytime I want a sound to bite back, I use this.
Greetings from Japan
July 11, 2017
Reviewer: KIYOSHI from TOKYO, TOKYO Japan
On behalf of Japanese big fan base for Empirical Labs' products, I am so happy about Arousor after years of waiting. Sounds just great. Hope we will have more pri-sets and fine-tuning in the years to come. Thanks!